Are you having trouble sleeping?
We all need a good nights sleep to be able to function properly and to get through our day feeling healthy and well, but every now and again we find ourselves lying awake instead of sleeping soundly.
There are many reasons for not having a restful nights sleep:
- Maybe, like me, you have an active mind and can’t switch off at night.
- You have little ones who wake often during the night.
- You are sensitive to every little noise in the house.
- You suffer with aches and pains that keep you awake.
- You are worried about a stressful situation.
- Maybe you fall asleep easily but keep waking up, or wake too early.
- Your partner snoring!!
- You worry about not being able to sleep!
Do they sound familiar?
Whatever the reason, being unable to sleep is not very pleasant and it can affect our overall health and wellbeing. So I’m going to share with you 5 helpful tips to help you fall asleep plus natural ways to help the body and mind relax using essential oils.
5 tips to help you fall asleep:
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Create a good sleeping environment by making sure it’s not too hot or cold … and clear the clutter!
- Avoid stimulants before bed such as caffeine, alcohol and nicotine.
- Remove any distractions and try to avoid the temptation of checking your phone just before bed.
- Relax the body by having a warm bath or making yourself a non-stimulating hot drink such as herbal tea – chamomile, honey and lemon.
5 Essential Oils to Help the Body and Mind Relax
Essential oils have been used for many years for their calming and soothing properties and there are a wide range of oils with chemical properties that help to relax the mind and body.
Lavender oil has calming and relaxing properties that help to ease feelings of tension and promote peaceful sleep. Add a couple of drops of Lavender to your pillows or bedding so that you can inhale the aroma as you fall asleep.
Cedarwood is known to promote relaxation and can be used to help calm the mind. Use three to four drops in your diffuser and enjoy the aroma and calming effects.
Bergamot has a calming aroma promoting a sense of inner peace. Apply Bergamot oil to your feet before bedtime and leave the cares of the day behind you.
Vetiver contains grounding properties and provides a calming and grounding effect on emotions. Add a couple of drops of Vetiver essential oil to a handful of Epsom Salt and sprinkle in your bath water for deep relaxation.
Roman Chamomile helps to soothe the body and mind and helps to ease feelings of irritation. Apply a drop of oil (diluted with a carrier oil) to your wrists and neck for feelings of well-being
This is how using essential oils for a good nights sleep works:
- When we inhale an essential oil, it triggers an internal response within the body for relaxation.
- After a restful nights sleep, the aroma has now created a positive association within the brain.
- This internal response encourages a restful nights sleep.
- When we repeat the process, positive association promotes using the same oil again as part of a healthy sleeping routine.
A final point to bear in mind is that an oil that works for one person may not work for another. This is because we are all unique and may react differently to the chemical structure of an oil. However we are so lucky that there are many essential oils to try, each with their own amazing benefits, that we can be sure to find the best oil to suit our needs.
These beautiful oils can help all of the family!
To get started with essential oils, take a look at my shop HERE.
If you would love to learn about essential oils and how to use them safely, start with our FREE eBook – Essential Oils for Beginners.
*** All Essential Oil information is sourced from doterra.com. ***